Wednesday, September 09, 2009

betting stage

Yesterday I taught the kids at the childcare how to play the actual game of Texas Hold'em. Today we learned how to bet. I used plastic teddy bears instead of chip's or actual money. I tried really hard to emphasize that winning didn't matter, and that it was all out of fun. I explained that if people start looking at it as more than a game, then they are taking it too serious, and maybe shouldn't play. They seemed to get that pretty darn good if I do say so myself.


So in our poker game something very funny happened. There was a bit of a lull in the action. Maybe it was inbetween betting stages, or possibly we had just finished a hand. One of the little boys, I think his name might have been Austin. He made a comment about an A-rod poster on the wall of the cafeteria. There are "Got Milk?" posters all over the walls of the cafeteria, and Alex looked at me and said, "Mr. Mikey, guess what?" I said, "What's up bud?" As I usually reply when responding to a child that I am not sure of their name. The little guy pointed to the A-rod poster and said, "Did you know that A-rod got caught eating asteroids?" I tried really hard to supress the laughter, and did so pretty well. I replied to that, "Ya know what, I think I did hear something about that." No need to correct, it was sort of a priceless moment.

Today was a good day. I stayed busy, and I get to go to bed before it is too late. I liked today.

Also I have been thinking about something about myself. I have the ability to be a very disciplined person. I have an example, now to an outsider, it may appear as no big deal, but for me, even at 22 years old, it is a great sign of self-discipline. Since I have come home from Arizona, I have been making my bed every day. It doesn't matter if it is 5:30 in the morning on a weekday, or 10 in the morning on a Saturday. I make the bed, and feel good about it. When I see something in myself I do not like, I do my darndest to rid myself of it. Through deliberation and careful awareness, I find a lot of success in self-discipline. The phrase my dad told me, "Sometimes you gotta fake it till you make it" rings ever so clearly.

Janice, every time I thought of you today, I would either say a prayer for you, or think about how much happiness you bring me. Thanks for being YOU!! Thinking about you or talking about you with someone really makes my day so much brighter.

No comments: