Sunday, March 22, 2009

great sermon @ Alliance & the start of healing

"Thou movest us to delight in praising thee; for thou hast formed us for thyself, and our hearts are restless till we find rest in thee." -St. Augustine

(pictured above is Megan, who is Lances wife. Lance took me out to eat on Wednesday)

Pastor Brian gave a very awesome talk at Alliance Community Church this morning. I am so glad he started out with this quote from Augustine because we need to be reminded that the whole reason we exist on this Earth is to praise and worship the King. Yes, that is correct, adjust your eyes, let them focus on the fact that the whole reason we are on this big blue ball floating in the universe is to praise and worship the God who created us. Praise and worship does not mean to just sing and prance say lyrics to Him, but to live a life in accordance to what His son taught. So, as to go along with what Brian was saying last week, this is what I wrote in my notes.

Often we (Christians) want God to bring a revival to the huge situations of life; "A Billy Gram movement to end abortion or homosexuality if you will." BUT, God wants to bring a revival in our hearts, a complete renovation that allows complete surrender to take place.

How can this revival process begin to come about in men?

-Men must be humbled

Christ lived a life of examples, he often lowered himself below that of sinful men. I mean just the thought of His existence shows this. He is GOD, and he choose to become a human, one that feels pain, and struggles, and hurts, and was hated and eventually crucified on a cross. Another example that is not so HUGE to wrap your mind around is found in Matthew 3:13-17. Ya see, Jesus wanted to be baptized, because it was what God wanted. But, John was probably thinking, "You are the Son of Man, you don't need baptized, and me, well i'm just a sinful man, how could I do it?!?" But, Jesus humbled John by the example he showed. The revival must start with me (and all followers of Christ).

I ask myself, how has Christ humbled me?

I answer. I have been beaten down, through my life I have experienced the ugliness of drugs and alcohol. My body has been consumed physically by a disease that can do anything at anytime. Through all my experiences, even the deepest darkest pains of serious depression and pain. I came out of my period of time where I turned my back on God to realize Truth and all my experiences have allowed me to fully embrace it. I am a changed man. I can stand before any man and testify to the healing power of Jesus Christ. BUT, first there must exist a personal relationship. It won't work by your own means. It simply can't.
Then I went to Dave's house. Before church, I had an opportunity to be a part of a process that will start the beginning of healing for an individual. The power of God is real. You just have to accept it for what it is, and fully embrace it even though you can't make sense of it all. The FAITH portion of Christianity is huge, but so vital. It is okay to doubt, as long as it does not separate you from Truth, notice the capitol T.

Dave talked about the decentralization of the church idea he spoke with me last week. I still get it, and feel it is good. It is just so radically different for individuals who have been brought up in the programmed churches that are so prevalent in America. And I am not saying that churches that look like the churches that are all over the place do not preach the word of God and save souls. . . . there is just so much more to it than that. So much more to a personal relationship with Christ than going to Heaven or Hell. God wants to bless and honor those who are obedient to Him. If an example is ever an "ultimate" example on my BLOG, you better believe it will involve Jesus Christ. I will end with this one. ~TO DAVE~ Dave I get it, and I should have gotten right along side you and fully embraced the idea better, but let's just continue to keep at it, because I feel you are right on here. I really do.
Luke 22: 39-46

Philippians 2:8

No comments: