Friday, June 08, 2007

Quick Q & A then an update.

Q: Mikey, what is your current physical condition at this time?
A: Well, I suppose I feel like I have been feeling for maybe the past 5 or 6 months. Yea, I feel the same. No big changes in a positive or negative way.

Q: Are you still having any head aches?
A: Nope, I think the migraine like head pains were just a by product of having a hole inserted into my spinal cord, and having a bit of a pressure increase or decrease in my spinal fluid.

Q: So, you haven't noticed any positive improvement since you started the stem cell treatment? Doesn't that bother you at all?
A: No, I would say things have stayed the same. No, it doesn't bother me at all because you have to understand the reason I am here a little bit I guess. I am in China receiving a Stem Cell Transplant treatment in order for me to be proactive in keeping my disease from getting BAD. I want to try to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

Q: How long will it take for you to notice a difference?
A: Well, to be perfectly honest, if I don't notice a difference at all, it won't bother me, as long as the progression of the disease stops or at least slows down. This means no more Emergency Room visits, or unexpected flair ups for an extended amount of time.

Q: How do you "KNOW" the stem cells are working in your body. How can you be sure that they are making a difference?
A: I suppose I can't. Well, I suppose I can't provide any physical evidence that anything is happening. But in my heart I know God had me come to this hospital in China for a very specific reason. I know I feel very strongly with all my heart that I am suppose to have this treatment done. It may be hard for some to understand. But, that is good enough for me.

Today I saw brains. Yea, real life human brains. I was pretty taken by this experience. I have to share these pictures. Because, really, how often do you get a chance to be up close and personal with a real human brain, all exposed and IN YOUR FACE!You might ask, "Why was there a brain on your floor Mikey?" to which I would answer, "I have no idea why there was a brain on our hospital level, But I am sure glad I got to see it and take a picture of it."

At 5:30PM Angel, the translator came over, and we got a chance to interview one more patient. It went really well, I think this man's words will really be helpful to persuade a family in a similar situation to come to China to have treatment done. They all just speak so highly of the Stem Cell Treatment. Anyways, so we interviewed another patient, then we went out on a little journey to find an Internet Cafe....that search was actually not successful at all, but me and Angel did ride in a really scary 3 wheeled motorcycle taxi. It was fun.Even the most simple things can turn into an adventure in China. Like, to be perfectly honest, I didn't know If I was going to survive this taxi ride back to the hospital. It is great though.

Ohhh yea, I made a new friend today too. We both sang "It's been a hard days night" by the Beatles to a Chinese military man right outside of the hospital. His name is Danny. Danny is a real cool dude. I enjoy hanging out with him. He has a great sense of humor too. Especially considering he can only move his head side to side a little bit, and use a straw to blow into to move his wheel chair. Which is pretty darn amazing.


Danny got into a motor cycle accident which left him completely paralyzed. He is hoping to stop some of the spasms which frustrate him so much, and possibly some other basic motor skills.

No comments: