Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Got some stem cells today.

SO, exactly one week ago today, I had my hip opened up and bone marrow removed. Since then, they have been purifying and removing everything that aren't stem cells. Today, the purified stem cells were re-introduced into my body, via spinal cord injection. It was just a slight prick, no sweat.
So, I was able to get a little bit more footage than last time. I got a picture of the sterile room. This is where my bone marrow was taken, and this is where my stem cells were put back into me. The room is very clean. In fact, there is my doctor. He is really good at what he does. I would trust this guy with whatever. Very personable, even though we barely understand each other.


I don't know if I have taken a picture of the hospital yet. If not, here it is. Shenyang Liberation Army Hospital 463. It's a good hospital. I like it a lot. I had to lay still for like 6 hours today. I watched some movies, and thought a lot.

I also am very interested in something that has come up. I talked with JON. Who, like I said in an earlier blog is in charge of bringing foreign patients to come to know and understand what Beike has to offer. NOW, this is hard to do unless you have lots of information on the patients. Information like.....what they have gone through. What they are currently experiencing, what kind of positive progress have they seen sense treatment has started.

Well, I think I can help out a little in this area. I love the people, American and Chinese. I love people, and I think I can help Jon out in this way. Well, I am going to at least give it a try. We will see what happens. But, I am going to try to get a translator, and do some interviewing of patients, both Chinese and American. There are some very compelling stories on this floor. Maybe, just maybe, I can tell some of them.

4 comments:

Chelsy Vaughn Martin said...

Okay Mikey,

I just wanted to tell you how super excited I am because we asked the fish store guy what kind of artificial bait Tarpon like to bite and he told us Zehr Spooks. My dad has about 25 of those!! I was super excited because we saw about five big tarpon by the dock yesterday. So we bought stronger line, new leders and have some new found confidence. I wish we could talk on the phone. I miss you sooooooooo much. I keep praying for you. It seems like you've been gone forever! Figure out that phone soon or use someone elses! I miss my Mikey.

<3Chels

SLWAH said...

hey mikey
it was great to talk to you today.
you are one of my heroes, seriously!
everytime i am feeling down now i think about you and your strength.
keep thinking positive and give your mom a hug for me!

Anonymous said...

Mikey,

Mate, I know that lying still would be immensely tough for you (especially for that long duration) but just think, after this treatment you will be moving and grooving and it will be impossible to stop Mikey Riley!

Scott Bushell

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know you and your family are in my prayers. Also. I have traveled in that part of the world and love it. Reading along as you discover it brings back pleasant memories. Openness to the world (and people) around you is all that is really required, and you seem to have that in spades.

Best to you,

Mark Garvin
Fort Wayne